Looking for a nut and/or seed butter alternative? You’ll want to read this post!
The folks over at Tiger Butter sent me a jar or their original variety to try so this is my honest review of their product. In addition to my review, Tiger Butter is sponsoring this post by offering a free jar to two (2) Healthy Fat & Fit readers! Isn’t that awesome?? Get the giveaway deets at the bottom of this post.
What are tiger nuts?
- Also called yellow nutsedge, chufa and nut grass, Tiger Nuts are not actually nuts but tubers. (1)
- Tubers are enlarged structures in some plant species used as storage organs for nutrients. (2)
- Tiger Nuts are high in antioxidants, provide an awesome source of protein, hold antibacterial properties, work as a prebiotic and can even improve your sex life! (3) Better buy some before Valentine’s Day… LOL! 😉
- Since Tiger Nuts are not part of the nut family, they are perfectly safe for people with nut allergies to consume.
- Tiger Nuts are Autoimmune Protocol elimination phase complaint! Yay!
So let’s begin the review…
First of all, and maybe not all that important, but I find the packaging to be very minimalist, which is pretty awesome. No need to clutter it all up with flashy wording, bright colors and bold claims! It’s a simple look to back up simple ingredients, which – by the way – are organic tiger nuts, coconut oil and Himalayan pink salt.
Upon opening the product, it’s readily apparent that the oil rises to the top similar to natural nut butters. Stirring is required to return the Tiger Butter to the desired consistency. However, unlike real nut butters, these ingredients seem to stir back together much easier.
Once stirred, the butter has sort of a spongy consistency and is a bit gritty in appearance. It’s not an unpleasant appearance by any means! It’s merely a difference I am pointing out from actual nut butter.
Heads up on the smell…
Here’s where things get interesting… the smell is funky with a capital FUNK.
It’s somehow sour and salty and… well, funky… I can’t quite put it into words but it’s rather strong. It didn’t turn me off to tasting it, however, folks who are not used to trying different things (like my kids) may be hesitant.
Once past the smell, the taste is sweet and nutty with a hint of oat flavor – VERY YUM!!
The texture has a fine grit to it that I find pleasant and not at all distracting from the mouth feel/appeal.
With crackers, toast, sandwiches and other similar standard American foods being off limits to us AIP-ers, it may leave you wondering how in the world to use Tiger Butter.
Here’s a list of ideas for ya…
- Dip fruit in it! I like to smear some on apple slices.
- Drizzle over a cold, creamy fruit parfait like I did here.
- Use a bit in salad dressings and sauces.
- Bake up some AIP cookies with it like this recipe here.
- Eat it straight out of the jar!
There’s honestly so many ways to enjoy Tiger Butter!
To close out my review, I give this product a score of 8/10. It’s really good! But that smell. Wow. Ha! I realize the smell is not at all a brand problem but is simply the smell of tiger nuts all blended up so I don’t count it against them. 😉
Thank you, Kristen, for sending me a jar!
If you’re one of the two (2) lucky WINNERS, you’ll be able to enjoy a jar for free.
How to enter this giveaway…
- This giveaway is open to U.S. residents only.
- Two (2) winners will be selected and mailed one (1) jar each.
- Enter by commenting on this post – Easy!
- One entry per person. Honesty policy, please.
- Winners will be chosen at random then contacted using the e-mail address used to comment.
- Winners will be given 48 hours to acknowledge and provide mailing information.
- If there’s no response within 48 hours, a new winner will be selected and contacted.
- Once two (2) winners have replied with a mailing information, they will be congratulated on this post.
- Giveaway ends 2/18/19 at 12:00am (CST). – GIVEAWAY HAS ENDED EARLY!
****IT SEEMS THIS GIVEAWAY WAS POSTED ON A FREEBIE/DEAL SITE CALLED AIRPLANES AND DRAGONFLIES WITHOUT CONSENT. Tiger Butter graciously offered up this giveaway exclusively to Healthy Fat & Fit readers. Please, do not to enter this giveaway if you were referred from that site, just looking to score something for free and are not actively on the AIP diet. You are robbing people who legitimately need HEALING from their opportunity to try a new compliant product, which is a rare gift for us.****
I’ve decided to close the giveaway early. It appears as though the freebie site posted my giveaway content on February 17th so all comments on the 16th and earlier are still valid. Please understand that I wish I could accept comments from February 17th but I’ve come to realize I cannot. The free jars should really go to fellow AIP-ers and it’s impossible to accurately figure out who is 100% legit and who isn’t. The best I can do is draw from the pool of people who entered before the 17th. Maybe I’m being over the top but I love all my loyal readers and want to protect and support their efforts in healing. Some random person who has no idea what AIP is will not appreciate a jar of tigernut butter like those of us who do. Going forward, I’ll research a better way to offer giveaways. Thank you for your understanding!
Latest posts by Jordan (see all)
- AIP Honey “Nut” Granola (+ 7 Delicious Ways to Enjoy It!) - February 20, 2019
- AIP Meal Plan: 2/18/19 – 2/24/19 + Help From My Daughter! - February 17, 2019
- Tiger Butter Review (A Nut Butter Alternative) + Giveaway! - February 12, 2019